Monday, July 18, 2011

Good news would be great

Well, the past week or so has been an emotional roller coaster for our family.  My mother-in-law was taken to the emergency room on July 8th. It all started on Tuesday of that week when she went to get her upper teeth pulled to prepare for her dentures. She only had 6 or 8 pulled and was going to get the remaining ones pulled at a later date. Well, when someone is diabetic, it's crucial that they eat and stay hydrated. She didn't do either for 3 days in a row after her surgery!  Naturally, she was getting worse by the day, so my father-in-law decided to taker her to an urgent care facility on Friday afternoon. Well, they took one look at her and called an ambulance. When the EMT's arrived, they couldn't find her blood pressure (it was so low!) and her blood sugar was around 490-something. She was on the verge of death!

J & I made our way to the ER, and they decided to admit her into ICU. She was there for 1 week due to kidney failure. We really thought she wouldn't make it.  J has been so nervous and worried this whole week. She's now in a regular patient room, but it looks like she'll be there for another couple of weeks, doing hemodialysis. They are also doing a biopsy today to rule out cancer, since she's a breast cancer survivor.  That's the main thing J is concerned about. I've been saying a ton of prayers for her and for the rest of the family...

So, we've been coping with that, my friends, that I mentioned before, are going through the Big D, my half brother & half sister's mother has breast cancer & needs surgery, & my co-worker's sister also has breast cancer. AND I broke my arm last Wednesday. Can it seriously get any worse?

J & I took a bike ride at a local park so that he could get some fresh air & keep his mind off his mom. Well, it was so much fun until I ran into his back tire with my front one. I took a fall right onto my left arm (the one I write with, of course) and screamed like a little girl. OMG I have never felt that kind of pain!  I've never broken a bone before, so now I know it really does hurt!  We walked our bikes back to his truck & he drove me to an urgent care, since I didn't want to wait for 8 hours in an ER for an X-Ray. Luckily, I work for an orthopedist, so I was able to bring the X-Rays in to have one of the Dr.'s take a look. Yep, I have a tiny hairline fracture on my radial head (that's right by the bend of my elbow)  There's not really anything they can do for it, so I just have to wait for it to heal over time. Thank GOD for painkillers! 

Needless to say, after the last couple of weeks, I'm so very ready to hear something positive.  Maybe it will be me who brings the positive news?  As in "I'm pregnant!" or something equally cheerful. That really would be the cherry on top.  We'll know in a few days if I can scream that out loud :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about your arm and MIL. You've been going through a lot!! I'm definitely keeping you in my prayers. AND I hope that you have some positive news soon =)

    ReplyDelete