Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's official....

I'm looking for a new Ob-Gyn. I've been debating this for a while, now. This morning's adventure confirmed it for me, however.

Here's the deal with me...  Today is CD 33 for me & possibly 15DPO. I don't normally go this long in my cycles. I'm normally 27-30 days.  I've been taking tests since Friday (11DPO) & they've all been negative. I have an appointment with an RE on Thursday (2 days from now), which could end up costing me around $300. I'm OK with paying that, if I can find answers to why I'm not getting pregnant, but if I already am pregnant, I don't see the point in spending that much if I don't need to. Logical, right?

So, I decided to call my Ob-Gyn (the one who prescribed me clomid) to see if they could just order a blood test to see if I am, in fact, pregnant. Again, seems logical to me!

Here's how that conversation went down:

Me: "Hi! I'm 3 days late for my period, but getting negatives on my HPT's, so I was hoping to get my blood drawn to test my betas."

Nurse (not my favorite person, by the way): "we don't do that here"

Me: "What do you mean you don't do that there?"

Nurse: "You'll have to make a 'confirming appointment'."

Me: "Well, you do realize that I'm considered 'high risk', right? I need to make sure that my numbers are doubling."

Nurse: "well, we typically don't draw blood until 7 weeks"

Me: "Well, I work right above a lab, can't you just call in the order, then I can come in & discuss the results?I can't wait until 7 weeks.  Besides, I would like to know if I am before I go to the RE on Thursday."

Nurse: "Won't they do a blood test there for you?"

Me: "I'm sure they will, but I'm not really wanting to pay $300 for them to tell me and I don't want to waste my time or the doctor's time if it's not necessary."

Nurse: "I'm really sorry, but I will have to talk to the doctor. She's not here today, so it will have to be tomorrow."

Anyways, as you can see, I'm a little bit frustrated. I don't understand why a simple lab test can't be done. My old Gyn that I was seeing when I had my ectopic, ordered lab tests right away. The day I called him & said "I'm late", it was ordered. The new Gyn's office apparently feels that every single woman is exactly the same & should be treated as such, no matter if they're high-risk or not. That's not OK with me.

It's fine for now, because I found a walk-in clinic that will do the test tonight after work. I will still have to meet with the doctor, but at least I don't have to wait until 7 weeks! 

So, I'm officially on the hunt for a new and improved OB-Gyn. One who looks at each patient as a case-by-case situation, because all women are NOT created equal!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh!!! What is wrong with these doctors??? I swear there are so many of them that are either just insensitive, uncaring asshats or they are just completely incompetent and stupid.

    I'm sorry you are dealing with that. Good luck finding a GREAT new doctor! They are out there...somewhere! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and definitely good luck with your beta draw! I got so worked up about your doctor's office that i left out the most important part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Katharine! I'm still fuming a little, but I'll be fine once I know the results :) I will definitely posting something about the results!

    ReplyDelete